It was not planned nor expected. It just happened. It was like a dream. It was meant to be…
That was how my friends and I felt when our travel dates coincided with CNBLUE‘s comeback schedule with their 6th mini album Blueming. CNBLUE had been to Manila for Blue Moon World Tour and Can’t Stop World Tour but Philippines was not included in their Come Together concert tour last year. There were a lot of things that happened which almost got our trip cancelled due to personal reasons but it turned out to be one of the best trip we all had because we were able to watch our favorite band perform live! Continue reading “CNBLUE Blueming at MNET M! Countdown”→
Part of my one-day K-Pop tour is to visit celebrity-owned restaurants. Since CNBLUE is one of my favorite K-pop band, Hwang’s Eel Restaurant which is owned by Min Hyuk’s father and Jong Hyun’s Sulbing Korean Dessert Cafe are on top of my priority list. After I went to K-Star Road and Korean Entertainment agencies (Cube, JYP, FNC and SM) in Apgujeong and Cheongdamdong in Gangnam, I went to Jong Hyun’s Sulbing Korean Dessert Cafe to celebrate my successful K-Pop tour and to have my very first bingsu as well!
Bingsu is a Korean dessert that is quite similar to our very own halo-halo which comprises of shaved ice, milk and different varieties of sweet toppings ranging from chopped fruits, beans and syrup. Sulbing is a Korean dessert cafe which specializes with different kinds of bingsu but rather than using shaved ice, it uses frozen milk instead. Since it is springtime, I opted for berry cheese sulbingo at ₩7300. This is a bit pricey but it is so worth it!! The blueberries and raspberries are fresh, the cheesecake and yogurt ice cream are delicious, and the frozen milk yogurt melts perfectly with the rest of the toppings. It was cold outside since it was in early April when I went here but I still managed to enjoy each spoonful of my berry cheese bingsu without needing to mix the ingredients altogether as what you would normally do when you eat halo-halo.
Aside from the bingsu, their menu also includes coffee, smoothie, bread toast, cake, porridge and sherbet.
While eating my sulbingo, I was able to observe and take pictures of the restaurant. The restaurant is big and has a modern contemporary interior design. There are pots of plants from CNBLUE fans and there are various pictures of Jong Hyun. I also saw a picture of Kim Woo-bin which was taken when he visited the cafe (they were both in Korean Drama Gentleman’s Dignity). Jong Hyun also filmed an episode of We Got Married by MBC Entertainment here with his virtual wife Seung Yeon.
Directions to Jong Hyun’s Sulbing Korean Dessert Cafe:
1) From Sillim Station, take Exit 6. From Exit 6, turn left.
2) As you turn the corner, you will see Sillim Department Store and a street sign of Sillim-ro 65 gil (신림로 65길). The department store was still under construction when I went here in April so it’s probably open by now.
3) Walk straight ahead until you see this building. Jong Hyun’s Sulbing Korean Dessert Cafe is located at the 2nd floor. The stairs is on the left side.
4) Here’s the entrance to Jong Hyun’s Sulbing Korean Dessert Cafe. Enjoy your sulbing while listening to CNBLUE’s songs!
I started my K-Pop tour in Apgujeong and Cheongdam-dong in Gangnam. I used the Korean Entertainment Agencies Tour Route from Visit Korea as a reference. I altered the sequence (blue line) to Cube (former office building), JYP, FNC and SM since I did not visit Grill Taco and I do not want to take a bus. This map is very reliable because I was able to find the above agencies without getting lost (I did not rent a mobile wifi to cut down my travel expenses so I do not have GPS or access to google maps).
Directions to Cube Entertainment and Cube Studio & Cafe:
Update as of April 2016: I was informed by one of our readers that Cube moved to a new office location. I updated the map and address with English translation.
Cube Entertainment Old Office:
1) From Apgujeong Rodeo Station (Bundang Line) exit 2, you will immediately see K-Star Road where a lineup of Gangnamdol of different K-Pop groups from entertainment agencies located in the same area can be found.
2) Walk along K-Star Road until you reach a major intersection where you will see Citibank on the corner to your left side and Burberry on your right side.
3) Turn left and walk along the side of Citibank until you see a building which has Baskin Robbins on the first floor at Dosan-daero 89-gil (ro – larger street; gil – smaller street). Cross the street towards Baskin Robbins and turn left, you will immediately see the old office building of Cube Entertainment.
4) Walk straight ahead until you reach a small intersection. Turn right to go to Cube Studio and Cafe.
I was not able to see any K-Pop artist during this time but I was fulfilled just seeing the entertainment agencies of my favorite K-Pop artists (BtoB of Cube; 2AM, 2PM and GOT7 of JYP; CNBLUE of FNC; Super Junior of SM). Hope this guide will help you find what you are looking for. Feel free to leave a comment for suggestions or corrections.